- Taiwan official allegedly injured after altercation with Chinese diplomats in Fijion October 21, 2020 at 1:06 pm
A Taiwan official was allegedly injured after becoming involved in a physical altercation with two Chinese diplomats at a function in Fiji earlier this month, according to Taiwan’s Foreign Ministry.
- India’s pollution season could serve a double blow during Covid-19on October 21, 2020 at 1:06 pm
A familiar scene is taking place in northern India. Vast fields burn, flames engulfing bare stalks of already-harvested crops. Billowing smoke travels across state borders. In towns and cities, the air is thick with yellow haze.
- Australia to join India, US, Japan in large naval exerciseson October 21, 2020 at 1:06 pm
Australia will join India, the United States and Japan in next month’s Malabar naval exercises in the Indian Ocean, in a move that is expected to strengthen the military relationship between the four democracies amid increased tensions with China.
- China’s Covid success compared to Europe shows lockdowns are the first step, not a solutionon October 21, 2020 at 1:06 pm
As much of Europe stares down the barrel of renewed coronavirus lockdowns, and a potentially miserable — and deadly — winter to come, China is going from strength to strength.
- Latest polls: Trump vs. Bidenon October 21, 2020 at 1:06 pm
- US Presidential Election Hubon October 21, 2020 at 1:06 pm
- Drones to drop seeds to boost koala gum tree numbers in Australiaon October 21, 2020 at 1:06 pm
Specialized drones are being tested in a program to boost koala numbers on Australia’s east coast, dropping seeds of gum trees as part of a World Wildlife Fund (WWF) scheme to regenerate bushland torched in the country’s historic bushfires.
- Two Thai protesters could face life imprisonment for violence against the Queenon October 16, 2020 at 5:43 pm
Two activists in Thailand have been arrested on charges of attempting violence against the Queen, which could result in a possible life sentence.
- Translation tools, air purifiers: Face masks go high-techon October 21, 2020 at 4:29 am
SINGAPORE: From monitoring vital signs to filtering filthy air and even translating speech into other languages, the coronavirus-fuelled boom in mask-wearing has spawned an unusual range of high-tech face coverings. As masks become the norm worldwide, tech companies and researchers are rolling out …
- Bhutan’s tree warrior: Spreading life in the world’s most climate conscious nationon October 21, 2020 at 3:53 am
THIMPHU: Sonam Phuntsho was just a young boy when the passion for planting enveloped him. In a rural village of eastern Bhutan, he recalls the first sapling that he helped foster outside his house, from seeds he retrieved from a forest nearby. “When you plant a tree and when you see it grow, it …
- Ex-Trump fundraiser pleads guilty to illicit lobbying on 1MDB, Chinaon October 21, 2020 at 2:31 am
WASHINGTON: A former top fundraiser for President Donald Trump pleaded guilty Tuesday (Oct 20) to illegally lobbying the US government to drop its probe into the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) corruption scandal and to deport an exiled Chinese billionaire. Elliott Broidy, 63, was charged in …
- India returns Chinese soldier who crossed Himalayan border: China military paperon October 21, 2020 at 2:26 am
BEIJING: A Chinese soldier who had strayed across a contested de facto border with India in the Himalayas has been handed back by the Indian side, according to a report by China’s official military newspaper, the PLA Daily. The soldier was handed over early Wednesday morning, according to the …
- Harry and Meghan decry ‘crisis of hate’ in social mediaon October 21, 2020 at 2:21 am
Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, spoke on Tuesday about their campaign against social media negativity, with Harry warning of a “global crisis of hate” that was affecting people’s mental health.
- Disney says California rules will keep Disneyland shut for ‘foreseeable future’on October 21, 2020 at 2:21 am
Officials in California, home to Walt Disney Co’s Disneyland, on Tuesday pushed the reopening of large theme parks months down the road, drawing outrage from the industry, which predicted the loss of thousands more jobs.
- Cathay Pacific to slash workforce, end Cathay Dragon brand due to COVID-19on October 21, 2020 at 2:19 am
Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific Airways said on Wednesday (Oct 21) it will slash 5,900 jobs and end its regional Cathay Dragon brand, joining peers in cutting costs as it grapples with a plunge in demand due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Japan offers Indonesia US$473 million loan to fight COVID-19on October 21, 2020 at 1:50 am
JAKARTA: Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said on Tuesday (Oct 20) that his country will provide 50 billion yen (US$473 million) in low-interest loans to Indonesia to support its fight against COVID-19. The offer was made to Indonesian President Joko Widodo during talks held at the …
- China reports 11 new COVID-19 cases, all importedon October 21, 2020 at 12:27 am
China reported 11 new coronavirus cases in the mainland on Oct. 20, down from 19 a day earlier, the country’s health authority said on Wednesday.
- Commentary: Beware the fierce devotion of the world’s K-pop fanson October 20, 2020 at 10:20 pm
Boy band devotees used to be docile, but now they bite, says the Financial Times’ John Gapper.